This is the oldest wrought iron box girder bridge in England. Built in 1849, the railway closed in 1959.
Sir John Fowler
Period of construction:
1800 - 1849
Transport Trust plaque:
Lincoln Golf club, Torksey, LN1 2EG
This bridge carried the Lincoln branch of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway over the river Trent. It was built by Sir John Fowler. When completed the Railway Commissioners refused to permit its use but after four months of negotiation agreed. It opened in 1850.
The construction was of a novel kind. Two 130 ft. box girder spans carried the deck and two tracks. The girders rest on stone abutments and a central pier. On the eastern side the bridge continues over wet ground on a tubular trestle viaduct, originally made of timber.
Closed in 1959, it is listed Grade II * and may become part of a cycle track.
Biddle, Gordon, Britain's Historic Railway Buildings, Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0198662475 (2003)
Dow,G. Great Central Railway. vol 1. Locomotive Publishing Co.(1959)
Leleux, J. A Regional History of the Railways of Britain, East Midlands. ISBN 0 7153 7165 7 (1976)
Morgan, Bryan, Railways: Civil Engineering, Arrow, ISBN 0 09 908180 6 (1973)
Visible at all times.
How To Find:
By Road: Close to the A156 road between Lincoln and Gainsborough in Torksey, just south of the Lincoln Golf Club.
Weather Feed currently unavailable.