Needham Market Station
Built by Frederick Barnes in 1847 for the Ipswich & Bury Railway, it has been described as one of the best in East Anglia.
Period of construction:
1800 - 1849
Transport Trust plaque:
Station Yard, Needham Market, Suffolk, IP6 8AS
Described as one of the best stations in East Anglia, second only to Bury, this station was built in 1847 for the Ipswich & Bury Railway. It was designed by Frederick Barnes in red brick with diamond patterning and dressings in white brick and Caen stone. The Jacobean facade with two storey bays, mullion windows and gables resembles a country house, and the clusters of tall chimney stacks add style and balance.
Although the building is in an alternative use, this station has the rare distinction of having been closed in 1967 and re-opened in 1971.
Barman, Christian, An Introduction to Railway Architecture, Art & Technics, (1950)
Jowett, Alan, Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland,Â Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. (March 1989)
Moffat, H. East Anglia's First Railways. Terence Dalton of Lavenham. ISBN 0 86138 038 XÂ (1987)
Simmons, J., The Railways of Britain, Macmillan, ISBN 0 333 40766 0 (1961-86)
Daily but see railway timetables, visit websiteÂ or telephone 0845 606 7245.
How To Find:
By Road or Rail: In Station Yard which is a turning off B1078, Coddenham Road.
Weather Feed currently unavailable.