Blackstone Edge Roman Road
A two mile section of well preserved Roman road climbing steeply above Littleborough.
Period of construction:
0000 - 999
Transport Trust plaque:
Littleborough Railway Station, OL15 8AR
This section of a Roman road belongs to an artery which ran from the fort and settlement of Manchester (Mamucium) in the south to a small fort at Ilkley (Verbeia) in the north. This preserved surface is in outstanding condition. It consists of accurately cut cobbles set close to each other. Unusually the road surface incorporates a carved stone drainage gulley in its surface, together with the common practice of cambering the road to run water into drainage ditches at the sides. The road is up to 6 metres across and can be traced in the landscape for some 2 miles.
Addison, Sir William. The Old Roads of England ISBN 0 7134 1714 5 (1980)
Albert, W. The Turnpike Road System in England 1663- 1840. Camb. Univ. Press. ISBN O 5210 3391 8 (1972)
Harrison, David. The Bridges of Medieval England. Oxford. ISBN 978-0-19-922685-6 (2004)
Hindle, P. Roads and Tracks for Historians. ISBN 1 86077 182 3 (2001)
Hindley, G. History of the Roads. Peter Davies. ISBN 0 8065 0290 8 (1971)
Jackson, Gibbard. From Track to Highway. (1935)
Jervoise, E. Ancient Bridges of England. Architectural Press. (1932)
Sheldon, G. From Trackway to Turnpike. Oxfd. Univ. Press. (1928)
Taylor, C. Roads and Tracks of Britain. ISBN 0 460 04329 3 (1979)
Visible at all times.
How To Find:
By Road: Six miles north east of Rochdale, on the A58 to Halifax, it climbs steeply away eastward.
Weather Feed currently unavailable.