Dewsbury Station and Viaduct
Handsome Tudor building and eleven arch viaduct dating from 1848.
Period of construction:
1800 - 1849
Transport Trust plaque:
Wellington Road, Dewsbury, WF12 9AG
The station is on the Leeds to Huddersfield Line, built by the Leeds, Dewsbury & Manchester Railway which was acquired by the LNWR while the station was still under construction. It was opened in 1848 by the London and North Western Railway and was originally known as Dewsbury Wellington Road.
Close to the station the railway crosses an eleven arch viaduct, again in stone. This too is a Grade II Listed Building.
Dewsbury had two other railway stations, both now closed. These were the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's Market Place (closed in 1930), and the Great Northern Railway's Central (closed in 1964). Market Place was the first in the town, opened by the Manchester and Leeds Railway in 1840 as the terminus of a short branch from their main line from Wakefield to Manchester Victoria. No trace of Market Place station remains, but the faÃ§ade of Dewsbury Central station can still be seen as it was incorporated into a bridge supporting the Dewsbury Ring Road in 1985.
Biddle, Gordon, Britain's Historic Railway Buildings, Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0198662475 (2003)
Joy, David. Regional History of the Railways of Britain: South and West Yorkshire.ISBN 0 7153 6883 4 (1975)
Marshall, J. The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 3 vols. (1969)
Reed, M.C. The London & North Western Railway. ISBN 0 9068 99 66 4 (1996)
Open daily. Check schedules, visit website orÂ telephone 0845 600 1671.
How To Find:
By road: Off A638, on Wellington Road. The viaduct crosses A652,Â Bradford Road.
Dewsbury, GBR - Weather via MSN Weather
Weather conditions and forecast for Dewsbury, GBR