Clare Bridge, Suffolk.
Sir William Cubitt's second cast iron bridge, it was built in 1813 with three spans over the river Stour.
Period of construction:
1800 - 1849
Transport Trust plaque:
The first bridges were probably of felled trees lain across the river (Stockbridge and Trowbridge both refer to tree trunk bridges) and then of worked timber.
On the south side of the pretty town of Clare in Suffolk there is a three span cast iron bridge which carries a minor road over the river Stour. It was the second bridge designed by (later Sir) William Cubitt. The semi-elliptical arched spans are 3 m.( 11ft.), 4 m.( 13 ft 6 ins) and 3 m. (11 ft.).
It is a nicely proportioned bridge, appears well maintained, and is still in use. Its existence suggests that it was part of what was a north/south route more important earlier than it is today.
Albert, W. The Turnpike Road System in England 1663- 1840. Camb. Univ. Press. ISBN O 5210 3391 8 (1972)
Harrison, David. The Bridges of Medieval England. Oxford. ISBN 978-0-19-922685-6 (2004)
Hindle, P. Roads and Tracks for Historians. ISBN 1 86077 182 3 (2001)
Hindley, G. History of the Roads. Peter Davies. ISBN 0 8065 0290 8 (1971)
Jackson, Gibbard. From Track to Highway. (1935)
Jervoise, E. Ancient Bridges of England. Architectural Press. (1932)
Sheldon, G. From Trackway to Turnpike. Oxfd. Univ. Press. (1928)
Skempton, Sir Alec (Ed.) Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers. Vol.1. 1500-1830. ISBN 07277 2939X (2002)
Open at all times
How To Find:
By Road: It is crossed by Ashen Road, a turning southward off Nethergate Street near the centre of Clare.
Weather Feed currently unavailable.